Saturday, October 4, 2008

Instead of any coherent thoughts (you really can't expect too much from me), here is a list of fun facts and updates, jotted between classes yesterday.
-- I haven't bathed in 20 days (as an update, this morning, aka day 21, I took an incredible cold shower that changed my life and made me feel a lot less tan than before)
-- Did you know Santa Claus lives in Kyrgyzstan? Some Swiss engineers wit far too much time on their hands decided that, in order to reach every house in one night, Santa had to be leaving from Kyrgyzstan. Nationally, this is the "year of Santa". He plays a big part in New Years celebrations. This year should be especially interesting.
-- My counterparts claim the fence will be done next week. I translate that as two months from now.
-- Still no sign of a schedule for my classes. Whenever I ask, the other teachers just say they're so busy with the fence. Every day is like the first day, just over and over and over...
-- Sometimes, classes of students show up in my classroom, expecting to be taught. I usually have no idea who they are, what class they're in, or what to do with them. All the teachers ever tell me is to teach pronouns (I've taught them to 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. Apparently that's what they're learning this year). "Winging it" is very difficult with little language knowledge, skills, experience, or training.
--Inside apricot pits, there is a little seed. It tastes a lot like an almond and was a very pleasant surprise.
-- It's also walnut season now, here near the largest walnut forest in the world. I had bread, coffee, and fresh walnuts (they just fell off the tree) for breakfast. My mother told me if I eat walnuts, I won't get the flu. I'm willing to test out this theory.
-- I broke my family's heart this week. On the same day, their cows (3 adults and 2 babies) came home from summering in the mountains (yeah, I said it), so I had to tell them I don't like milk (blasphemous!). Then, for lunch, they served me a plate of sheep lungs and onions, so I told them I don't eat much meat (even more blasphemous!). Their eyes expressed confusion, sadness, offense, and concern all at the same time. Now it's a fun activity to talk about my meat intake during dinner. Always fun to be talked about.
The power's about to go out, so I have to end this.
Please update me on the world, to make my trips to the internet more exciting!
Love to all!
Leslie

No comments: