Saturday, July 26, 2008

July 16's post

So, I thought I would be able to access the internet last Wednesday, but the only open computer I could find didn’t have any way to type in numbers, which makes it impossible for me to get into my email. I had an entry all typed and ready to go, but couldn’t get it online. I’ve loaded it up now, so read the next one first.

If I were to write a book now, I would call it “20 Cups of Tea”, because that’s about what I’m averaging every day. Everything is still going really well. I’m starting to get into a routine, which helps. The language classes are intense, but great. There are also sessions on how to teach (because that can be summed up in a few weeks, right Mom?), and Kyrgyz culture. Those are getting me very excited for September, when I head off to my permanent post. The PC has been rotating current volunteers to come talk to us, which has been incredibly helpful. It’s nice to see successful volunteers and have them validate our fears and excitements and everything.
Nothing exciting has really happened here in the last week. The rules are pretty strict, so except for Wednesday meetings, I haven’t been able to leave my village (hence the lack of communication). On Sunday, I went to my friend Serena’s house to meet two Kyrgyz girls who live in Bishkek and have both spent a year in America studying. They were really fun and helpful. It’s great to be able to actually communicate with Kyrgyz people, beyond my limited language ability.
This Sunday, we are having a Mexican day at Serena’s. Her host sister is 16 and just got back from spending a year in the US (there’s a pretty big exchange program here) and says she misses Mexican food and donuts more than anything else, se we’re going to make them together. It’s nice to have Sunday as American day, which makes the culture shock less harsh, especially since we have so long here to spread it out.
My family is still great. There have been various extended family members coming in and out. I’m never sure who they are, when they’re coming, or any of that, but everyone’s been super nice. The girls are still great. I’m really glad I got a family with kids, because they’re great to talk to with my level of Kyrgyz, and it’s fun to see them try to speak back in English (though they’re both much better at English than I am at Kyrgyz).
On my way home from class yesterday, I was about to turn into my driveway, when my neighbor, a Russian girl who is probably about 15, kept yelling something to me. I went over to say hi, and she kept saying something I didn’t understand, grabbed my arm, and pulled me into her yard. She kept speaking in Russian, and I kept trying to say I didn’t speak Russian. She finally switched into Kyrgyz, but kept saying the same words that I didn’t know. I responded with “I don’t know”, and she would just repeat it again. Finally, I was almost out, when she grabbed my arm again and pulled me into the back of the house, with the stables and everything. She told me to be quiet, and led me into a room. She looked in, then got really upset because something wasn’t there. I got that it was small – I’m assuming some small animal or something. She was sad that it was gone, I think. She may have asked me for money, but I said no, and finally left, saying I had to study (because that’s one of the few phrases I have down). Needless to say, the communication levels here can be pretty low.
On Saturday, we’re going to Bishkek to see the National History Museum, which should be interesting, and hopefully get cell phones. It will be nice to see Bishkek again, since we’ve really only been into the city once, and then it was very quick.
In the past week, I’ve gotten a few yoga partners. We have done my one yoga DVD twice now, which feels really good. Jessica has a great room for it. I feel a little bad sweating where her entire family sleeps on the floor, but the room is great for yoga… I also have a NYC ballet workout DVD that we’re going to try soon. It’s very good to find ways to relax and exercise in such a different environment.
Physically, I’ve been feeling great recently. All stomach problems seem to be resolved, and my body seems to be adjusted well to the environment. Having a personal water distiller (provided by the Peace Corps), is so great. I can have a gallon of extremely clean water every day, without bothering anyone about it.
I feel like the training time is going to start passing really fast from now on. In a few days, I have “site placement interviews”, and then in less than a month, I will know exactly where I will be spending the next two years! It will be nice to not be in a ‘transition’ position again once I move there, but I’m really enjoying my time here too.
For this week’s animal story, here are some recent quotes from very normal conversations:“Well, the cow in my yard lets me pet him”“I mean, I ate horse this morning”“Where’s your house?” “Just take a right at the donkey”
And just in case you were wondering, the cartoons are all wrong about roosters crowing at sun-up. They crow all the time, waking up the donkeys, who then “eee ahh” for a while. Village life isn’t quite as quiet and peaceful as it may seem, but it does beat sirens and horns.

Love to all!

Leslie

2 comments:

Jen and Dave said...

Leslie!
My soon-to-be husband, Dave, and I get to move to Kyrgyzstan to teach at a school there in Bishkek. It has been fun to hear your reviews about it. I know that you are in Kent now and doing a different sort of work there but being from the states, it is good to hear that your adjustment period is going just fine. Hang in there and if you are ever in Bishkek drop us a line and you and some friends can come over for game night or something.
check out our blog: www.thebishkekadventure.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I loved reading your blog,Leslie. It's fabulously interesting. I'm sure you will remember this month for the rest of your life.
I also loved the 12 children with whom I lived in Holland at your age. They were ages 22-a baby. The kids about 5-8 were the best about teaching me Dutch. I was on the Exper. in Inter. Living. I loved it, but it was only for 1 summer. Of course, I can't remember more than a few sentences now. Keep me posted.
Much love,
Elizabeth Wolf