Sunday, July 6, 2008

Mid-flight!

Hello from Istanbul!
I am in the middle of my long trip around the world. We have a very long layover here in Istanbul, so a bunch of us left the airport to explore the city. A few of us took the metro out to get lunch (or whatever meal this is) a few stops away. We got to eat great kabobs and drink Turkish coffee. On the way back to the metro, I experienced my first call to prayer. It was beautiful to hear the voice on the loudspeaker for the first time.
Soon, we'll be leaving for Bishkek. We arrive at 1:30 AM, but supposedly the airport is an experience, and will take a few hours to work through, so it will be a long night/day/two days.
The people in charge warned us that it will probably be about a week until we have access to phones or internet next, so don't worry if you haven't heard anything -- no news is good news!

Think good thoughts for my first days in Kyrgyzstan!
Let me know if you have any questions or anything.

-- Leslie

No comments: